Whether you lost your loved one within the past year or long ago, Valentine’s Day is always a difficult holiday. Feelings of loss and loneliness are always magnified.
With that in mind, we’ve gathered some suggestions to hopefully make the day one filled with new memories rather than grief.
- Be your own valentine. Go to a movie or out to dinner with a friend or a group to celebrate YOU!
- Do something special for a lonely neighbor or relative. Invite them over for a home-cooked meal or surprise someone with an unexpected delivery of flowers.
- Write a letter or make a phone call to a friend lives far away.
- Volunteer at a local food pantry or women’s shelter.
- Do something your lost loved one enjoyed like visit a museum or gallery.
Valentine’s Day is a day about love and companionship. What an extraordinary opportunity to channel your grief and loss in a new and different way. All the best to you!